If you typically wait until something is wrong to see the dentist, you are not alone. While the American Dental Association (ADA) recommends that most people see a dentist every six months for a check up and dental cleaning, preventive dentistry is not always at the top of the list for most people. The bad news is that avoiding preventive dental care can increase the risk of oral health problems like tooth decay and gum disease, which is the leading cause of tooth loss for American adults according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The good news is that it is never too late to invest in your oral health, and to practice preventive care. Dr. Terry Linneman, a family dentist in Prairie Village, KS, offers a range of cosmetic and general dentistry services for the entire family.
Family Dentistry in Prairie Village, KS
Even if you brush and floss every day, your at home oral hygiene routine is only part of the equation. Dental cleanings are essentially like a "deep clean" for your teeth and gums - they pick up where the toothbrush and floss leave off and are an important tool in preventing periodontal (gum) disease.
Comprehensive dental care and intervention - which starts with regular dental exams and cleanings - are the best defense against cavities and other oral health problems. And like other health risks, waiting to see a dentist will only make problems worse, and potentially lead to the need for more treatment in the future. But even if you haven't been to the dentist in years, it is never too late to pick up where you left off. Many oral health problems tend to be progressive, so getting attention earlier is always recommended.
Find a Family Dentist in Prairie Village, KS
A healthy, beautiful smile is just a dental appointment away. For more information about preventive dentistry services and to schedule an appointment for your cleaning, contact Prairie Village Dental Care by calling 913-649-7500 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Linneman today.
Protect your child’s back teeth from cavities with this simple preventive treatment.
All you have to do is take a look at the chewing surfaces of your back teeth and you’ll be able to see the many grooves and ridges where food and bacteria can easily get trapped. So it’s no surprise that these chewing surfaces are particularly prone to developing cavities. Therefore, one of the best approaches our Prairie Village, KS, family dentist Dr. Terry Linneman can take is to place dental sealants over your child’s back teeth once they come in.
What is a dental sealant?
Just as the name implies, a sealant is designed to seal out tooth decay from developing on the chewing surfaces of your child’s molars, or back teeth. A sealant is a clear plastic coating that adheres to the teeth to keep bacteria from getting into those little nooks and crannies of your child’s molars.
Once your child’s first molars erupt (usually by the age of 6) they should get sealants. Your child will need to get them again around the age of 14 when their second set of molars comes in.
What goes into getting dental sealants?
This is a very straightforward, simple and painless procedure. Here’s what goes into getting dental sealants:
- We will first clean your child’s teeth and dry them
- We will then place a solution over the chewing surface of your child’s molars to roughen the surface so the sealant sticks to the tooth
- The solution is removed and the tooth is dried
- We will then paint the molars with a dental sealant
- Lastly, we will direct a dental light over the tooth to harden the sealant permanently
How long do dental sealants last?
The longevity of your child’s sealants really depends on your child and how well they care and maintain good oral hygiene. Keeping your child’s teeth clean by brushing and flossing every day is key. Your child should also visit our Prairie Village, KS, dentist twice a year for cleanings so we can check the dental sealants. Sealants can last up to a year.
If you want to get dental sealants for your child then it’s time to call Prairie Village Dental Care to book your child’s next appointment. Our Prairie Village, KS, general dentist Dr. Terry Linneman can even place dental sealants during your child’s next cleaning. Just let us know!
Are you ready to find out the ways in which a family dentist can improve your smile?
Choosing the right dentist for you and your family is a very important and personal decision. Here in Prairie Village, KS, our family dentist, Dr. Terry Linneman of Prarie Village Dental Care, understands the importance of being able to get quality dental care no matter your age. Here’s how choosing a family dentist can benefit you and your household.
Family Dentistry Equals Preventative Care
No matter how healthy a smile may seem, it’s still necessary for everyone to visit their dentist every six months for checkups. It’s also necessary to have a dentist with which you can have a long-term and trusted relationship with so that you know your smile is always getting the proper care it deserves.
One of the best ways to ensure that you never skip these dental checkups is to have a family dentist. Having an established dentist that you can turn to is a major benefit by allowing you to get the preventive care you need.
Family Dentistry Makes Medical Care Convenient
Scheduling appointments for the whole family with just one dentist can certainly take the stress out of turning to multiple dental providers, scheduling different appointments and spending multiple days visiting different dental offices. Since everyone can turn to a family dentist for care, this means that we can schedule appointments for the whole family on the same day to make getting the care your whole family needs a whole lot easier.
Family Dentistry Means Comprehensive Dentistry
We know that patients’ needs change as they get older and what a child may require to keep their teeth and gums healthy is often not the same as an adult or senior citizen; fortunately, our family dentist specializes in providing a variety of dental services to the Prairie Village area. We have the training to be able to provide all dental treatments and care that you need. We offer preventive, restorative and cosmetic dentistry, as well as orthodontic treatment and gum disease therapy.
If you have been looking for a dentist in Prairie Village, KS, that can provide comprehensive and individualized dental care to every member of your family then it’s time to turn to the dental team at Prairie Village Dental Care. Call (913) 649-7500 to schedule cleanings for the whole family!
How Dental Veneers Can Help Your Smile
Does your smile need a little help? Do you have fracture lines or chips in your teeth? Is your smile showing your age? If so, dental veneers are the answer you've been looking for! Terry C. Linneman at Prairie Village Dental Care in Prairie Village, Kansas is an expert at installing veneers, and is ready to rejuvenate your teeth, boost your confidence, and give you the great looking smile you deserve!
What Veneers Are
Dental veneers are made of natural-looking, light reflecting materials like porcelain that carry an appearance strikingly similar to organic tooth enamel. Because veneers are virtually indistinguishable from your natural teeth, your cosmetic dental restorations will stay innocuous and all people will notice is how beautiful your smile is!
What Veneers Do
Dental veneers can help hide many aesthetic issues you may have with your smile, including:
- Closing small gaps between your teeth
- Eliminating the look of tooth overlap
- Hiding cracks, fracture lines, and chips
- Hiding yellowing, stains, and discolorations
There are many reasons why people choose dental veneers over other cosmetic dental treatments. Consider that veneers are:
- Naturally Beautiful: Porcelain mimics the look of tooth structure and reflects light
- Conservative: Dr. Linneman removes only a minimal amount of tooth surface, just enough to compensate for the thickness of the veneers
- Easy To Care For: Porcelain resists staining so your veneers will stay looking new and beautiful for years, even if you smoke or drink coffee
How To Get Veneers
Dental veneers require between two and three appointments, beginning with a consultation appointment. The consultation is the perfect time for your dentist to address any concerns or questions you have and give you an idea what your veneers will look like.
During the second appointment, your teeth will be prepared, and molds will be made of the prepared teeth. Your veneers will be made specifically for you, and once they are created, the last appointment will be scheduled to cement your new veneers and create your beautiful smile.
Contact Us Today
No matter what may be bothering you about your smile, dental veneers can help. All you need to do is pick up the phone and call Dr. Terry C. Linneman at Prairie Village Dental Care in Prairie Village, Kansas. Contact us today at (913) 649-7500 and get started on your new smile!
How many times a year do you see your dentist? Regular appointments are an essential aspect of maintaining good oral health. Dr. Terry Linneman, who practices family dentistry at Prairie Village Dental Care in Prairie Village, KS, helps you protect your smile with a range of treatments and services.
When is the best time to schedule checkups?
If you don't follow the every-six-month rule when it comes to scheduling dental checkups, your oral health may suffer. Regular dental visits provide several important benefits, including:
- Cavity Detection: Oral examinations and X-rays help your dentist diagnose tooth decay. Although a cavity may seem like a minor problem, tooth decay can cause significant problems if it isn't treated promptly. Spreading decay can destroy your tooth and even spread to nearby teeth. Although a filling may be all you need if you have a small cavity, very large ones may require restoration with crowns or inlays or onlays. If the decay reaches your pulp, your entire tooth will be at risk. Although root canals can often save teeth in this circumstance, extraction may be the only solution if the decay is widespread. Luckily, your dentist can detect and treat tooth decay before it causes serious problems if you visit every six months.
- Diagnosis of Gum Disease: During your examination, your dentist will also take a close look at your gums. Bleeding, swollen or red gums, or chronic bad breath can be signs that you have gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease. Treating gingivitis can help you avoid the more serious stages of gum disease. Unfortunately, if you don't visit the dentist regularly, you may overlook your gum disease symptoms.
- Identification of Other Dental Problems: Your Prairie Village, KS, dentist will also look for other symptoms that can cause trouble with your oral health, such as cracks in teeth, cracked or loose fillings, or enamel erosion due to nightly grinding. He'll also examine your mouth and jaw for possible signs of oral cancer, such as lumps, bumps, or red or white patches.
If you experience a toothache or notice any oral health symptoms that concern you, don't wait for your next checkup for all of your family dentistry needs. Call your dentist and schedule an appointment. Delaying dental care may result in more extensive dental work and even the loss of a tooth.
Protect your smile with regular dental appointments. Visit Prairie Village, KS, dentist Dr. Terry Linneman for all your family dentistry needs. Call him at (913) 649-7500 to schedule an appointment.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.